I’ve been experimenting with making homemade granola lately and I am happy with the last result. I find store-bought versions to be too sweet and not too many are Gluten-Free. This is my second attempt at granola-making, be sure to not make the same mistakes I did:
- baking too long (30 min) granola was dark brown
- baking the granola with raisins
This first try resulted in a granola with a bitter after-taste, due to the over-baking and the high sugar-content in the raisins caused them to burn (I think).
This time I was sure to bake the granola for only 20 mins, granola was light-brown in color, and adding the raisins to the mix after I removed the trays from the oven. Granola is highly versatile, my mix included:
- GF rolled oats (about 2 1/2 cups)
- chopped pecans and walnuts
- raw flax seeds and chia seeds
- maple syrup and agave (about 1/4 cup combined)
- salt (about a 1/2 tsp)
- virgin coconut oil (about 2 tbsp)
- raisins (added after baking)
I paired mine with cold soy milk for breakfast, yum!